Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Aoife Power, HR Generalist, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Wednesday, 26 August 2020.
UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Waterford
Reports to: Theatre CNM
The post holder is responsible for the efficient and safe movement of goods and patients within the clinical areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
- On a daily basis, ensure correct equipment is in place for each procedure.
- Ensure that the correct cleaning solutions and cleaning equipment is in each sluice room.
- Ensure that all operating tables and trollies are cleaned.
- Ensure that all trollies are dressed and ready in reception for the arrival of patients and after each procedure that they are removed from theatre and cleaned and dressed accordingly.
- Liaise with the anaesthetic nurse in theatre regarding any specific requirements for the theatre lists.
- To be responsible for the transportation of patients into the anaesthetic rooms and from day surgery and the inpatient wards.
- Ensure nurse manager is kept aware of any special consideration to the patients’ needs that is advised upon collection of patients from theatre.
- To position the patient relevant to the procedure being carried out.
- To assist the surgeon and scrub nurses in preparing the patient for surgery, including holding the limb for painting, shaving operation site, etc.
- Responsible for the transfer of the patient, post procedure, to their own bed.
- Responsible for transporting patients to recovery.
- Communicate patient queries to the relevant clinical manager.
- Ensure that all theatres are cleaned, tables are washed down, all trollies are cleaned, all positioning equipment is cleaned, laundry and clinical waste placed in the correct clinical waste area, and the floors are washed.
- Ensure that the theatre is prepared for the next case.
- All of the above will be done for each case, until the last case is finished.
- When the last patient leaves theatre, each theatre will have each piece of equipment cleaned and placed in the exit for preparation for contract cleaners. When the theatre floor is dry, all equipment is placed back in theatre.
- To assist the clinical staff in ensuring the highest possible standard of care is provided to all patients.
- To liaise with the scheduler on a daily basis to obtain the list of patients scheduled for the following day and ensure transportation is available.
- Reports to the clinical manager of any unresolved queries or complaints.
- Act as a role model and promote behaviours in keeping with UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s mission and values.
- Fully participate in the appraisal system review and personal development planning process on an annual basis.
- Develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the following and always practice within the guidelines and policies written at both unit and Hospital level:
- Clinical risk reporting policy
- Occupational health
- Facilities management
- Patient moving and handling
- Resuscitation and basic life support
- Health and safety
- Departmental financial and budgetary controls
- It is the responsibility of all UPMC Whitfield Hospital employees to ensure they are aware of and competent in the reporting of hospital risk and all health and safety concerns.
- To be responsible for ensuring confidentiality of all information is maintained at all times in accordance with data protection and hospital policy.
- To be responsible for conducting oneself in a professional manner towards visitors, colleagues and other agencies.
- Respond to any patient query and ensure that the patient is at ease at all times.
- To bring in stores from main stores as requested.
- To place orders for sharps bins and ridged bins on a weekly basis.
- To bring specimens to the lab and collect blood as needed.
- Have a good working knowledge of equipment used in theatre.
- Order medical gases as required.
- Receive, count, and stack scrubs and sterile packs.
- Ensure that there is an adequate supply of cleaning products in stores and placed in the sluice room weekly.
- Ensure that there is an adequate supply of specimen pots in stores.
- Ensure that there is an adequate supply of linen as required.
- Collect pharmacy supplies as required.
- Bring notes and equipment to and from the wards when required.
- Ensure that all new equipment that is delivered to theatre is un-packaged and cleaned down before being brought to the theatre area.
Professional Accountability and Development
- Ensure you remain professionally updated and ensure care in all areas is delivered in line with the latest research to promote evidence-based practice. Actively participate in research where appropriate for the benefit of patients.
- Provide a supportive and learning environment in the hospital, which enables the educational and professional development needs of staff to be met.
- Ensure that statutory rules, guidelines, and legislation are understood and complied with.
- Ensure that standards of care are safeguarded, and all staff are aware of the need for patients and clients. High quality care is recognised as of primary importance.
- Act as a positive role model with regards to the hospital ethos.
Quality and Audit
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the quality and patient safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety
- To uphold UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to fire, infection control, radiation safety, and health and safety at work regulations and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients, and visitors, and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety, and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post.
The Post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- At least one to two years’ experience in a similar role is essential.
- Evidence of ongoing CPD.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.