Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Aoife Power, HR Generalist, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Monday, 14 September 2020.
Theatre Clinical Nurse Manager (CNM)
UPMC Kildare Hospital, Clane
Reports to: Director of Nursing
To manage all operating theatre activity within UPMC Kildare Hospital and promoting effective nursing and care practice, whilst managing hospital staff and non-hospital staff to ensure efficient day-to-day management of services. To work in collaboration with the director of nursing and other members of the inter-professional team, ensuring that the use of theatres and outpatients department is effective, and that nurse led discharge is promoted.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor and improve standards of good practice, safety, service, and patient care.
- Implement both UPMC Kildare Hospital policies and legislative requirements regarding storage and administration of medicines.
- Ensure emergency equipment is routinely checked and maintained.
- Take part in manager on-call rotation.
- Directly manage junior staff and ensure effective staff development in line with hospital policy.
- Plan and organise theatre schedules and outpatient schedules in liaison with other members of relevant care teams and management.
- Monitor theatre operating times and throughput of patients and, in conjunction with registered nurses, identifying and implementing changes required to maximise efficiency.
- Liaise closely with inpatient supervisor as necessary to ensure systems in place to affect a productive and therapeutic patient journey.
- Monitor and improve the standard of record keeping, including patient notes and theatre register.
- Manage queries directed to the theatre team.
- Manage theatre stock control and co-ordinate purchasing in accordance with theatre needs.
- Ensure that the An Bord Altranais Code of Professional Conduct and other board guidance relating to professional practice is followed at all times and that staff have access to this guidance.
- Supervise the day-to-day activities of the theatre team, including surgeons and anaesthetists.
- Brief teams within theatre and outpatients on current issues and hospital wide affairs, developing systems to promote effective internal communication.
- Identify staffing needs requirements both permanent and seasonal organising rota’s arranging medical and nursing cover.
- Work with the director of nursing in developing programmes of induction to ensure staff are fit for undertaking role they are employed for.
- Influence and participate in future developments that impact on the current service delivery and staff.
- Recruit and select staff in line with staffing needs and budget, arranging orientation and induction.
- Motivate and coach team members, providing feedback on performance to individual staff.
- Assist in the satisfactory resolution of verbal complaints and the management of complaints at a hospital level through local resolution.
- Monitor attendance and manage according to hospital and personnel policies.
- Develop locally agreed contingency escalation plans with the director of nursing to manage adverse incidents, such as unsafe staffing levels and action these as the need arises. Ensure staff who have the role of being in charge are aware of the co-ordinator’s role.
- Ensure each staff member is appraised in line with the hospital standards.
- Work with the director of nursing in developing programmes of induction to ensure staffs is fit for undertaking role they are employed for.
- To actively support individuals with career development plans and ensure they have access to advice on their individual training needs.
- Identify resource needs in order to meet both the patients’ needs and safety requirements (e.g. manual handling equipment). Alert the director of nursing if the lack of resources compromises health and safety.
- Manage performance, sickness absence, and staff grievances in conjunction with the director of nursing. Adhere to hospital policies, enlisting the help of personnel and occupational health where necessary.
- Undertake a proactive role in the accreditation process.
- Develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the following and always practice within the guidelines and policies written at both unit and Hospital level:
- Clinical risk reporting policy.
- Occupational health.
- Facilities management.
- Patient moving and handling.
- Resuscitation and basic life support.
- Health and safety.
- Departmental financial and budgetary controls.
Professional Accountability and Development
- Ensure staff and self remain professionally updated and ensure care in all areas is delivered in line with the latest research to promote evidence-based practice. Actively participate in research where appropriate for the benefit of patients.
- Maintain own professional portfolio and participate in the hospital’s supervision programme.
- Provide a supportive and learning environment in the ward area, which enables the educational and professional development needs of staff to be met.
- Ensure that statutory rules, guidelines, and legislation are understood and complied with.
- Avoid any inappropriate delegation to others, which compromises the interests of patients and clients and contravenes An Bord Altranais Code of Professional Conduct.
- Ensure that standards of care are safeguarded and all nursing staff are aware of the need for patients and clients across the spectrum of health care to receive skilled professional nursing assessment and treatment and that high quality care is recognised as of primary importance.
- Act as a positive role model with regards to the hospital ethos.
Quality and Audit
- Participate and lead as required in clinical audit and research activity within the field, promoting a positive attitude towards the implementation of evidence-based practice.
- Undertake research and clinical audit as necessary. Critically analyse and provide written reports of the same.
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the quality and patient safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety
- To uphold UPMC Kildare Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to fire, infection control, radiation safety, and health and safety at work regulations and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients, and visitors, and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety, and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post.
The Post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- Be a registered general nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- At least five years’ post registration experience is essential.
- Management qualification is desirable.
- Evidence of ongoing CPD.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC Kildare Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.