Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Aoife Power, HR Generalist, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 20 September 2020.
UPMC Kildare Hospital, Clane
Reports to: Director of Nursing
To work as a member of a team of nurses at UPMC Kildare Hospital providing high quality, patient centred care for patients and their families.
To develop and maintain good relationships with all members of the multi-disciplinary team.
To work closely with nursing colleagues, developing innovative practice within the unit delivering evidence-based care.
To develop specialist knowledge of nursing practice relating to his or her clinical area.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the delivery of the highest possible standard of care to all patients.
- Act as preceptor to preregistration students, mentor new clinical staff and new nonclinical staff. Support and guide all colleagues when needed.
- Liaise with link lecturers from affiliated nurse education departments with particular regard to developing and maintaining UPMC Kildare Hospital as a recognised learning environment for student nurses.
- Develop and maintain effective communication and interpersonal relationships with all members of the multi-disciplinary team to ensure a good team spirit and collaborative working practices.
- Support the unit manager by meeting agreed responsibilities as set out by the unit manager or the director of nursing at any time.
- Identify and discuss nursing and patient needs with consultants, nursing team, multi-disciplinary team, patients, and carers.
- Accept responsibility and be accountable for the holistic care of a named group of patients on a shift basis.
- Ensure that the highest possible standards of patient care and patient safety are maintained at all times.
- Demonstrate and promote a patient centred style of clinical practice, acting as patient advocate at all times and providing emotional and psychological support to patients admitted to the unit for treatment.
- Have an understanding of the principles and workings of pre-assessment.
- Maintain high standards of communication, both written and verbal at all times. Have a working knowledge of all NMBI publications to include the scope of practice framework and code of professional misconduct.
- Maintain own professional registration and submit to HR department for verification yearly.
- Develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the following and always practice within the guidelines and policies written at both unit and hospital level:
- Clinical risk reporting policy.
- Occupational health.
- Facilities management.
- Patient moving and handling.
- Resuscitation and basic life support.
- Health and safety.
- Departmental financial and budgetary controls.
- It is the responsibility of all UPMC Kildare Hospital employees to ensure they are aware of and competent in the reporting of hospital risk and all health and safety concerns.
- Understand and participate in projects within the hospital.
- Undertake a pro-active approach in achieving and maintaining accreditation standards within UPMC Kildare Hospital and have an in-depth knowledge of departmental and hospital-wide policies.
Quality and Audit
- Participate and lead as required in clinical audit and research activity within the field, promoting a positive attitude towards the implementation of evidence-based practice.
- Undertake research and clinical audit as necessary. Critically analyse and provide written reports of the same.
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the quality and patient safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety
- To uphold UPMC Kildare Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to fire, infection control, and health and safety at work regulations, and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients, and visitors and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety, and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post
Professional and Education
- Develop the necessary skills to enable you to act as shift co-ordinator and team leader. This will include the assessment and allocation of workload to maintain patient and staff safety at all times.
- Manage your workload appropriately to ensure that patient care needs are met, and that you and your colleagues are able to take an allocated break.
- Be responsible for the care, control, storage, and administration of drugs according to the clinic and statutory guidelines and the NMBI for the administration of medicines and medication management.
- Develop appropriate IT skills to enable you to work in an efficient manner within the clinical environment.
- Have a working knowledge of Isoft and other IT systems on the patient pathway.
- Be able to liaise directly with consultants with regard to specific patient care and bed allocation.
- Continually risk assesses the theatre environment to ensure the safety of all patients, relatives and staff members. Report any accidents, incidents or complaints according to UPMC Kildare Hospital guidelines, policies and SOPs.
- Practice and demonstrate research based nursing care, maintaining personal and professional development.
- Undertake any specific training required to perform your role e.g. use of equipment, administration of specialist medication.
- To observe complete confidentiality of all information including awareness and adherence to the legal requirements of GDPR legislation.
- Liaise with the Scheduling Team re the allocation of patient beds and theatre slots.
The Post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- Be a Registered General Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- At least one year’s post registration experience is essential.
- Evidence of ongoing CPD.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC Kildare Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.