Please send a letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Evelyn Murphy, HR Manager, UPMC Aut Even Hospital, Freshford Road, Kilkenny, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 26 September 2021.
Staff Nurse – Surgical Ward
Based at: UPMC Aut Even Hospital, Kilkenny
Permanent, Fixed Term Position
The post holder will work as an integral member of the nursing and multidisciplinary team involved in the provision of evidence-based care to the patients who attend the surgical ward at UPMC Aut Even Hospital. The nurse will provide the highest professional and ethical standards within the model of nursing which must be assessed, planned, implemented, and evaluated.
Surgical ward nurses are expected to practice according to the Code of Professional Conduct as laid down by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) and Professional Clinical Guidelines.
- Adhere at all times to the NMBI code for nurses.
- Adhere to UPMC Aut Even Hospital guidelines, policies, and protocols.
- Work within your scope of practice and take measures to continuously develop and maintain the competence necessary for professional practice.
- Maintain a high standard of professional behaviour and be accountable for your practice.
- Provide and maintain a caring, efficient, and highly professional nursing service to all surgical patients in your care.
- Be aware of ethical policies and procedures which pertain to your area of practice.
- Respect and maintain the privacy, dignity, and confidentiality of the patient at all times.
- Assume responsibility for and coordinate the management of the surgical ward area in the absence of the clinical nurse manager (CNMII).
- Undertake the role of mentor or buddy where requested and facilitate the orientation and development of new staff.
Responsible for assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating individual programs of care and ensuring that all surgical patients receive the care identified within the agreed nursing model.
- To receive patients and their relatives in a calm, courteous, and reassuring manner and ensure they are kept informed of progress and treatments and participate in providing support and help.
- Assist surgical staff with procedures and treatments ensuring that all instructions are executed and those observations are documented and reported.
- Ensure that nursing procedures are carried out in accordance with hospital policies and procedures.
- Ensure that proper control, storage, and administration of drugs and medicines are in accordance with NMBI regulations and hospital policy.
- Anticipate and respond to the needs of patients and their relatives.
- Collaborate with the multidisciplinary team in the coordination and delivery of patient care.
- Be an advocate for the individual patient and for their family if appropriate and required.
- Ensure that care is carried out in an empathetic and ethical manner and that the dignity of the patient is paramount in accordance with the five rights.
- Collaborate with the patient, their family, and the multidisciplinary team to facilitate appropriate discharge planning and continuity of care, beginning at the admission stage.
- Ability and competency to use surgical equipment and devices safely at ward level.
The post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of the post:
- Be registered in the general division of the register of nurses kept by NMBI.
- A minimum of one to two years of post-registration experience is desirable.
- Basic life support certification.
All employees are required to maintain a level of flexibility to meet the needs of the hospital and may be required to move between wards (e.g. medical and day ward) as patient needs fluctuate.
Candidates interested in applying for a staff nurse role must be available to cover all shifts, i.e. night duty, long days, and weekends, as required.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC Aut Even Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the hospital.
UPMC Aut Even Hospital is an equal opportunities employer.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.