Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Aoife Power, HR Generalist, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Monday, 21 September 2020.
Staff Nurse – Endoscopy
UPMC Kildare Hospital, Clane
Reports to: Director of Nursing
To work as a member of a team of nurses at the UPMC Kildare Hospital endoscopy unit, providing high quality, patient centred care for patients and their families.
To develop and maintain good relationships with all members of the multi-disciplinary team and to work closely with nursing colleagues developing innovative practice within the unit delivering evidence-based care.
To develop specialist knowledge of nursing practice relating to endoscopy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Take responsibility for all equipment such as endoscopy monitors, Dinamaps, suction apparatus, diathermy machines, light source, and photographic printer, and ensure that suction lines, water bottles, and tubing are attached to suction machines.
- Ensure the updating of the endoscopy register and ensure the endoscopy list is checked with PIMS and the correct patient details are entered into the endoscopy machine.
- To monitor safe and economic use of all supplies, considering at all times the budgetary implications of implementing care and treatments.
- Be familiar with stock management at ward level and how to access and order stock during work and out of work hours while at all times maintaining adequate stock levels to meet daily requirements.
- Ensure the patient is attached to the monitoring equipment and oxygen and is placed in the correct position.
- To assist the anaesthetist and consultant with drug preparation and any checks necessary.
- To adhere to the “time out” policy.
- To assist with biopsies, thus ensuring patients stays in the correct position and observing airway and vital signs.
- Check biopsy specimens and laboratory forms with another nurse ensuring the correct patient details are filled.
- Ensure that when a procedure is completed, all the relevant documentation is completed by the consultant, anaesthetist, and nurse. On completion, the patient is then transferred back to the day surgery ward accompanied by a nurse and hospital attendant.
- To follow the policy regarding the processing and cleaning of scopes.
- To ensure that all specimens and laboratory books are brought to the lab and checked with laboratory staff.
- To ensure that there is an accurate recording of start and finish times for each procedure, including the name of the anaesthetist and that it is recorded on the PIMS system.
- Ensure the medication management policy is adhered to by all staff regarding DDA’s.
- Mentor new clinical and nonclinical staff. Support and guide all colleagues when needed.
- Liaise with link lecturers from affiliated nurse education departments with particular regard to developing and maintaining UPMC Kildare Hospital as a recognised learning environment for student nurses.
- Develop and maintain effective communication and interpersonal relationships with all members of the multi-disciplinary team to ensure a good team spirit and collaborative working practices.
- Support the unit manager by meeting agreed responsibilities as set out by the unit manager or the director of nursing at any time.
- Maintain high standards of communication, both written and verbal, at all times. Have a working knowledge of all ABA publications to include the scope of practice framework and code of professional misconduct.
- Maintain own professional registration and submit to HR department for verification yearly.
- Develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the following and always practice within the guidelines and policies written at both unit and hospital level:
- Clinical risk reporting policy.
- Occupational health.
- Facilities management.
- Patient moving and handling.
- Resuscitation and basic life support.
- Health and safety.
- Departmental financial and budgetary controls.
- Patient Complaints procedure.
- Falls Management programme.
- It is the responsibility of all UPMC Kildare Hospital employees to ensure they are aware of and competent in the reporting of hospital risk and all health and safety concerns.
- Undertake a proactive approach in achieving and maintaining accreditation standards within UPMC Kildare Hospital and have an in-depth knowledge of departmental and hospital-wide policies.
- Develop appropriate IT skills to enable you to work in an efficient manner within the clinical environment.
- Have a working knowledge of Isoft, Lab Information System, and all other appropriate systems.
- Continually risk assesses the unit environment to ensure the safety of all patients, relatives and staff members. Report any accidents, incidents or complaints according to hospital guidelines and policies.
- Liaise with the scheduling team re the allocation of patient beds and theatre slots.
Professional Accountability and Development
- Ensure you remain professionally updated and ensure care in all areas is delivered in line with the latest research to promote evidence-based practice. Actively participate in research where appropriate for the benefit of patients.
- Maintain own professional portfolio and participate in the hospital’s supervision programme.
- Provide a supportive and learning environment in the ward area, which enables the educational and professional development needs of staff to be met.
- Ensure that statutory rules, guidelines, and legislation are understood and complied with.
- Avoid any inappropriate delegation to others, which compromises the interests of patients and clients and contravenes An Bord Altranais Code of Professional Conduct.
- Ensure that standards of care are safeguarded and all nursing staff are aware of the need for patients and clients across the spectrum of health care to receive skilled professional nursing assessment and treatment and that high quality care is recognised as of primary importance.
- Act as a positive role model with regards to the hospital ethos.
Quality and Audit
- Participate and lead as required in clinical audit and research activity within the field, promoting a positive attitude towards the implementation of evidence-based practice.
- Undertake research and clinical audit as necessary. Critically analyse and provide written reports of the same.
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the quality and patient safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety
- To uphold UPMC Kildare Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to fire, infection control, and health and safety at work regulations, and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients, and visitors and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety, and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post
The Post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- Be a Registered General Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Previous endoscopy qualification is desirable.
- At least one year’s post registration experience is essential.
- Evidence of ongoing CPD.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC Kildare Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.