Please send a letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Hazel Swords, HR Business Partner, UPMC Kildare by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 3 October 2021.
Staff Nurse – Endoscopy
Based at: UPMC Kildare Hospital, Clane
Reports To: CNM, Endoscopy
Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Overview of the Post:
- To work as a member of a team of nurses at the UPMC Kildare Hospital endoscopy unit, providing high quality, patient centred care for patients and their families.
- To develop and maintain good relationships with all members of the multi-disciplinary team and to work closely with nursing colleagues developing innovative practice within the unit delivering evidence-based care.
- To develop specialist knowledge of nursing practice relating to endoscopy.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Take responsibility for all equipment such as endoscopy monitors, Dinamaps, suction apparatus, diathermy machines, light source, and photographic printer, and ensure that suction lines, water bottles, and tubing are attached to suction machines.
- Ensure the updating of the endoscopy register and ensure the endoscopy list is checked with PIMS and the correct patient details are entered into the endoscopy machine.
- To monitor safe and economic use of all supplies, considering at all times the budgetary implications of implementing care and treatments.
- Be familiar with stock management while at all times maintaining adequate stock levels to meet daily requirements.
- Ensure the patient is attached to the monitoring equipment and oxygen and is placed in the correct position.
- To assist the consultant with drug preparation and any checks necessary.
- To adhere to the Safe surgery policy.
- To assist with biopsies, thus ensuring patients stays in the correct position and observing airway and vital signs.
- Check biopsy specimens and laboratory forms with another nurse ensuring the correct patient details are filled.
- Ensure that when a procedure is completed, all the relevant documentation is completed by the consultant, anaesthetist, and nurse. On completion, the patient is then transferred back to the day surgery ward accompanied by a nurse and hospital attendant.
- To follow the policy regarding the processing and cleaning of scopes.
- To ensure that there is an accurate recording of start and finish times for each procedure is recorded on the PIMS system.
- Ensure the medication management policy is adhered to by all staff regarding DDA’s.
Education / Experience Requirements
The post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of the post:
- Be a Registered General Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Previous endoscopy qualification is desirable.
- At least one year’s post registration experience is essential.
- Evidence of ongoing CPD.
The job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC Kildare Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the hospital.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.