Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Aoife Power, HR Generalist, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday, 24 July 2020.
Staff Nurse – Cath Lab
Accountable to: Assistant Director of Nursing
Reports to: Chief Nursing Officer
Provide professional nursing care for a defined group of patients by having responsibility for the assessment, planning, and implementation of care needs, along with the delivery and evaluation of skilled professional care, under the direction of the department manager.
The Cardiac Catheterisation Lab (CCL) staff nurse will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring, and compassion are at the centre of all we do.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate expertise in the nursing assessment and management of emergency cardiac situations, including acute cardiac chest pain patients.
- Have the ability to anticipate, recognise, and rapidly respond to the unpredictable problems and complaints of patient within the Cath Lab and recovery room.
- Provide a safe and welcoming environment for patients in a highly complex and technical area.
- Reassure and support patients that may be awake during procedures.
- Administrator medication as prescribed during and after procedures.
- Ensure correct set up of CCL before each procedure and adhering to ANTT and maintaining the sterile environment.
- Ensure adequate supply and maintenance of equipment.
- Assist physicians during catherization procedures, angioplasties, pacemaker implantation, and other cardiac procedures.
- Liaise with the multidisciplinary team in a timely manner to ensure the safe and effective management of the patient flow and robust management of emergency cardiac admissions.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team fostering good communication and working relationships with colleagues of all disciplines, using specialised practice to improve patient outcomes.
- Plan the safe transport of critically ill patients within the CCL and when transferring to receiving Cardio-Thoracic Centres.
- Ensure accurate recording of information in CCL using CVIS and the medical record.
Quality and Audit
- Participate and lead as required in clinical audit and research activity within the field, promoting a positive attitude towards the implementation of evidence-based practice.
- Undertake research and clinical audit as necessary, critically analyse and provide written reports of the same.
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the Quality and Patient Safety Team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety
- To uphold UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to Fire, Infection Control, Radiation Safety, and Health and Safety at work regulations, and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients, and visitors, and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety, and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post.
Professional and Educational
Under the direction of the department manager the post holder will:
- Contribute to the identification of training needs pertinent to the clinical area.
- Identify and contribute to the continual enhancement of learning opportunities in the clinical area.
- Participate in the clinical induction of all new nursing and support staff.
- Develop leadership ability in order to act as an effective role model.
- Assume responsibility for own learning and development needs.
- Embody the UPMC values in all their day-to-day activities within the hospital.
The post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- Be Registered General Nurse with The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Evidence of continuous professional development.
- Have experience in working in a CCL or theatre environment.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.