Please send letter of application along with an up-to- date CV to Aoife Power, HR Generalist, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford or by email to email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 14 June 2020.
Senior Radiation Therapist
Reports to: Radiotherapy Services Manager / Director of Operations via Clinical Specialist RT Group
Will deliver radiation treatment as per treatment plan, ensuring quality treatments for all patients as per department guidelines. The senior radiation therapist will maintain an atmosphere of caring, concern and support for patients of all ages, visitors, medical staff and co-workers on a consistent basis.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Delivers radiation treatment according to written prescription and treatment plan. Provides safety in patient care through the consistent practice of departmental procedures for treatment administration. Recognizes deviation from prescribed treatment delivery and reports all deviations to the clinical specialist, chief therapist, and/or physicist.
- Assures the quality of treatment delivery through the complete and accurate documentation of treatment records.
- Assures the quality and consistency of treatment portal placement by taking and reviewing electronic portal images according to departmental procedures. Adjusts treatment fields as indicated.
- Explains treatment procedures to patient and/or family. Refers medical questions to appropriate personnel.
- Under the direction of a radiation oncologist, takes localization radiographs according to planned treatment delivery. Assists physician or nurse in the administration of contrast agents used during treatment localization. Performs measurements for use during treatment calculation. Collects and documents data acquired during the simulation procedure. Accurately inputs treatment-related data into the verify-and-record system.
- Assists in the orientation and supervision of students during clinical rotations. Assists the clinical specialist and chief therapist in the evaluation of student performance.
- Assists as needed in all treatment-related procedures. Assists at other UPMC locations as needed.
- Uses effective communication techniques and interpersonal skills to provide explanations for treatment-related procedures. Responds effectively to patient concerns. Observes patients for expected and unexpected reactions to treatments and communicates this to appropriate staff members. Reinforces patient education and side effect management information and indicates non-compliance to medical and nursing staff.
- Performs and documents daily and weekly QA activity for assigned equipment. Documents findings outside the range established by physics. Notifies clinical specialist and chief therapist immediately of findings outside the normal range of operations. Participates in programs to measure and improve the quality of care within the department. Assists and attends departmental QA functions
- Attends multidisciplinary team meetings for coordination of patient care.
- Completes the daily treatment schedule. Maintains an accurate record of procedures, including billing information and codes.
- Maintains a safe, orderly treatment room.
- Provides on-call coverage for the treatment of patients in emergency situations.
- Helps the chief RT and clinical specialists in the day to day running of treatment units and PET CT unit, ensuring the daily list is run as smoothly as possible.
- Helps train and supervise more junior RT staff.
- Be responsible for the monitoring, recording and reporting of all continuous quality improvements in their clinical area.
- Ensure all UPMC, EPA , and HIQA radiation protection standards are adhered to.
- An awareness of risks, infection control, and hygiene protocols within the department.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that work is carried out in a safe manner in accordance with the provisions of the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act and/or other related legislation.
- All staff are responsible for identifying, assessing, and reporting all risks and for contributing to the management and review of all risks.
Quality and Audit
- Participate and lead as required in clinical audit and research activity within the field, promoting a positive attitude towards the implementation of evidence-based practice.
- Undertake research and clinical audit as necessary, critically analyse and provide written reports of the same.
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the quality and patient safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Qualifications and Education
- Hold a degree in radiation therapy, or equivalent.
- Registered, or be eligible for registration, on the Radiation Therapists Division of the Radiographers Register maintained by the Radiographers Registration Board at CORU.
- Two to three years post qualification experience.
Knowledge and Experience
- Good working knowledge of the Aria system.
- To work in the radiotherapy department on a day-to-day basis and be flexible.
- Ability to manage in a rapidly changing environment and a willingness to undertake such additional duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Knowledge of health and safety.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and customer service skills.
- Adaptability to changes in healthcare.
- Initiative and innovation.
- Excellent self-management skills.
- Work well within a team environment.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC Whitfield Hospital, the Cork Cancer Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre. Applicant will be based primarily at Bon Secours Radiotherapy Cork in partnership with UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.