Please send a letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Evelyn Murphy, HR Manager, UPMC Aut Even Hospital, Freshford Road, Kilkenny, or by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 8 August 2021.
Senior Medical Scientist
Based at: UPMC Aut Even Hospital, Kilkenny
Full Time (35 hrs)
Purpose of the post:
To coordinate and record incoming and outgoing specimens from the specimen reception area. To receive all histology and pathology specimens from all clinical areas within the hospital and to pack and prepare all samples for transportation in line with hospital policy.
The post holder will have responsibility for the oversight of the Point of Care Testing programme in accordance with best practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive all histology and pathology specimens from all clinical areas within the hospital.
- Pack and prepare all samples for transportation in line with hospital policy: the specimens are distributed to the following locations.
- keep a record of all documentation prior to distribution for record and traceability purposes.
- Receive results in relation to specimens through the IT system, Health link.
- Print and distribute results to the relevant department.
- Results received are cross referenced against request forms to ensure all are complete.
- Ensure all samples are prepared and stores in accordance with best practice until next transportation time.
- Ensure laboratory is well maintained.
Duties and Responsibilities (POCT coordinator):
The Point of Care coordinator has responsibility for the oversight of the Point of Care Testing programme in accordance with best practice and complaint with ISO 15189 and ISO 22870 requirements as follows:
- Keeps the Point of Care programme master list of test methods up to date.
- Validates/verifies the medical devices and test methods.
- Keeps a copy of all planned and unplanned maintenance records.
- Ensures that internal/external audits are performed and reported as scheduled.
- Ensures that an appropriate training and competency programme is in place for each type of instrument.
- Keeps a copy of all completed training records.
- Ensures that the internal quality control records are completed.
- Ensures that external quality assurance material is distributed to the wards.
- Ensures that the external quality assurance records are completed.
- Ensures that the results of external quality assurance testing are forwarded to the relevant location.
- Liaises with the hospital pharmacist in relation to monitoring the storage of reagents and controls.
- Monitors reagents and controls in use at testing area to confirm that they are in date.
- Ensures that there are adequate temperature monitoring services in place for the reagents and controls related to the Point of Care service which are stored in the testing area.
- Decommissions any device that flags an alert.
- Contacts the relevant person to report the fault of the medical device.
- Keeps copies of all new/modified Point of Care Test method request.
- Attends the monthly clinical governance group meeting.
- Be registered on the Medical Scientists Register maintained by the Medical Scientists Registration Board at CORU or be eligible for registration.
- Previous relevant work experience is essential.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Good attention to detail.
- The ability to work on own initiative and to deadlines.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC Aut Even Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the hospital.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.