Post: Senior Clinical Researcher
Reports To: Manager of Operations
Accountability To: Medical Director, General Manager UPMC Waterford and Cork
Overview of the Post
The Senior Clinical Researcher, as a member of the multi-disciplinary team, is responsible for the oversight and management of all aspects of research and clinical trials within the radiotherapy department at the Bon Secours Radiotherapy in Partnership with UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre in Cork. The Senior Clinical Researcher is responsible for the coordination and supervision of clinical trials and departmental research projects from the regulatory, patient facing, financial, patient education, organizational, and crediting aspects.
Responsibilities of the Post
At the start of this role, there will be some expectation of clinical work while the body of research duties grows; although it is expected that within 12 months of the start date this position will transition to an exclusively research post.
- Work with investigators to identify and prioritize new trials
- Arrange implementation of newly opened clinical research studies
- Work with financial and regulatory staff to ensure all contracts and budgets are completed
- Coordinate patient care according to study protocol
- Work with physician for patient recruitment and obtaining informed consent
- Ensure protocol compliance
- Provide patient education
- Maintenance and upkeep of clinical research documentation, including site files, case record forms, monitoring arrangements, data correction, data collection, and data entry
- Review proposed research protocols and provide input to site study feasibility reports
- Attend/chair research meetings
- Play proactive role in driving ongoing clinical research projects through participant recruitment, participant follow ups, identifying problems early and regularly,
- Familiarity with ethics committee submissions
- Experience with data management, CRFs and eCRFs
- Thorough knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) best practice as it applies to clinical trials, and data obligations
- Outstanding communication skills required for successful multidisciplinary clinical research
- Familiarity with clinical trial set-up
- Experience of training other staff members on GCP, trial protocols and obligations relating to clinical trials
- Knowledge of radiotherapy credentialing processes
- Experience of Investigational Medicinal Product (IMP) studies
- Clinical trial monitoring experience
- Experience with cooperative groups and Clinical Research Organisations (CROs)Uses effective communication techniques and interpersonal skills to provide explanations for treatment-related procedures.
Performs in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Lives the UPMC Values
Completion of a qualification in Radiation Therapy recognised by the Radiographers Registration Board at CORU
Currently registered nurse/midwife on the active Register of Nurses/Midwives held by Bord Altranais agus Cnáimhseachais na hÉireann (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland)
Have an Oncology Qualification from an accredited institution or be willing to undertake the course and in-house training
Experience: (Amount and Type)
Experience in research and clinical radiation therapy or oncology nursing desirable.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge:
Irish / European / US / Canada appropriate license.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Bon Secours Radiotherapy in Partnership with UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.