Please send a letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Business Partner, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to email@example.com.
Queries about the role or do you need additional information? Please contact Mary Hickey, operations manager, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday, 18 June 2021.
Based at: Bon Secours Radiotherapy Cork in Partnership with UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre
Reports to: Lead Clinical Specialist and Operations Manager
- Maintains an atmosphere of caring, concern, and support for patients of all ages, visitors, medical staff, and co-workers on a consistent basis.
- Delivers radiation treatment according to the written prescription and treatment plan. Provides safety in patient care through the consistent practice of departmental procedures for treatment administration. Recognises deviation from the prescribed treatment delivery and reports all deviations to the clinical specialist, lead therapist, and physicist.
- Assures the quality of treatment delivery through the complete and accurate documentation of treatment records.
- Assures the quality and consistency of treatment portal placement by taking and reviewing electronic portal images according to departmental procedures. Adjusts treatment fields as indicated.
- Explains treatment procedures to patient and/or family. Refers medical questions to appropriate personnel.
- Under the direction of a radiation oncologist, takes localisation radiographs according to planned treatment delivery. Assists physician or nurse in the administration of contrast agents used during treatment localisation. Performs measurements for use during treatment calculation. Collects and documents data acquired during the simulation procedure. Accurately inputs treatment-related data into the verify-and-record system.
- Assists in the orientation and supervision of students during clinical rotations. Assists the clinical specialist and lead therapist in the evaluation of student performance.
- Assists as needed in all treatment-related procedures. Assists at other UPMC locations as needed.
- Uses effective communication techniques and interpersonal skills to provide explanations for treatment-related procedures. Responds effectively to patient concerns. Observes patients for expected and unexpected reactions to treatments and communicates this to appropriate staff members. Reinforces patient education and side effect management information and indicates non-compliance to medical and nursing staff.
- Performs and documents daily and weekly QA activity for assigned equipment. Documents findings outside the range established by the physics department. Notifies clinical specialist and lead therapist immediately of findings outside the normal range of operations. Participates in programmes to measure and improve the quality of care within the department. Assists and attends departmental QA functions.
- Attends multidisciplinary team meetings for coordination of patient care.
- Completes the daily treatment schedule. Maintains an accurate record of procedures, including billing information and codes.
- Maintains a safe, orderly treatment room.
- Provides on-call coverage for the treatment of patients in emergency situations.
- Continuous Professional Development (CPD) is supported.
Skills Essential to the Post
- Completion of a formal radiation therapy technology program in an Irish, EU, or AMA-approved institution.
- CORU registration.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As Bon Secours Radiotherapy Cork in Partnership with UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the centre.
Bon Secours Radiotherapy Cork in Partnership with UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre provides state-of-the-art treatments for patients in the Munster region including stereotactic radiosurgery and hyperarc technology. Conveniently located on the campus of Bon Secours Hospital Cork, the partnership offers patients access to radiotherapy services previously unavailable in the South East, including stereotactic radiosurgery.