Post: Post: Radiation Oncology Nurse
Reports To: Manager of Operations
Overview of the Post
Ensure the provision of quality patient care, whilst maximising efficiency in accordance with company policies and procedures
Provides professional care required for the optima
Main Responsibilities Include:
- Maintains an atmosphere of caring, concern, and support for patients ranging in age from pediatrics to geriatrics, visitors, medical staff and co-workers on a consistent basis.
- Completes patient assessment within time frame laid down in Departmental policy. Assesses patients for radiation therapy side effects and provides appropriate nursing interventions. Assesses patient’s nutritional status and provides dietary counseling and information. Makes appropriate referrals when necessary.
- Provides nursing care as required by the patients in the department including fundamental patient care, comfort measures, emergency procedures, medication administration, and other nursing functions needed to ensure patient comfort and safety.
- Ensure compliance with database and check the completeness of patient records.
- Teaches patients ranging from pediatrics to geriatrics, and family members about their disease, its treatment and ways to minimize treatment side effects.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families and makes appropriate referrals to community and hospital support services, such as Medical Social Work, Home Care, ICS, etc., as needed.
- Assists physicians during patient exams and procedures performed in the department.
- Communicates to inpatient staff and referring physicians treatment related information as needed. Assists in the instruction of nursing staff and nursing students regarding radiotherapy and its side effects.
- Assists with scheduling of required outpatient lab tests, x-rays, scans, etc. as needed.
- Maintains current ABA standards in all aspects of nursing work, in particular medication management and wound care.
- Maintains current BLS skills and attend all in-house health and safety training (eg fire, manual handling etc) as required.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Participate in annual budget planning for staff.
- Available for cross cover between UPMC sites
- Contribute to nursing research on all aspects of cancer care.
Skills Essential to the Post
- Currently registered with An Bord Altranais.
- 3 years post registration experience, some of which should have been spent in an oncology/medical setting.
- Oncology qualification from accredited institution or be willing to undertake the course and in house training
- Computer skills.
- Must possess competent clinical and interactive skills with pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.