Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Coordinator, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Monday, 7 September 2020.
Public Relations and Media Specialist
UPMC in Ireland
Working closely with the UPMC Vice President of Public Relations for UPMC International, the Public Relations and Media Specialist develops and executes public relations strategies for media and internal audiences in support of UPMC’s health care mission and strategic goals in Ireland.
This position will manage various crises and controversies in assigned areas and works to minimize negative impact on UPMC. Working with the Ireland country manager, Ireland marketing communications manager and communications colleagues in the U.S., the PR and Media Specialist assists in the identification, development and placement of regional and national media stories in Ireland to support UPMC’s global organizational strategies. The PR and Media Specialist is also responsible for assisting with the execution of internal communications strategies and material that support UPMC’s mission, adhere to brand guidelines, and ensure a consistent UPMC experience.
This position can be based in any of UPMC’s Ireland locations (Cork, Waterford, Kilkenny, and Clane) and will require short duration travel between all locations.
- Undergraduate degree in public relations, journalism, communications or related field required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant communication experience.
- Experience in a health care or pharmaceutical environment preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to proactively thrive and quickly adapt within a multi-cultural, dynamic and matrixed environment.
- Ability to translate scientific and medical information to a lay person’s understanding.
- Sound news judgment and track record of identifying and placing stories of interest to regional and national media.
- Ability to counsel internal clients on media and internal communication strategies.
- Create, execute and evaluate media and internal communications strategies for assigned areas.
- Coordinate the work of other departments that contribute to assigned projects.
- Appropriately prioritize beat areas for media coverage to meet organizational goals.
- Manage crises communications in assigned areas.
- Coordinate with pertinent scientific and professional organizations to promote assigned areas.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in operational/clinical functions to achieve business goals.
- Cultivate and maintain strong, credible relationships with all appropriate regional, national and international media.
- Demonstrate service-oriented behavior in interactions with clients, patients and co-workers.
- Develop methods to evaluate communications projects and document the results.
- Manage outside public relations agencies as needed.
- Performs in accordance with system-wide competencies/behaviors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the centre.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Outreach Centre in Carlow, and UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield Hospital and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.