Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Co-Ordinator, UPMC Whitfield, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday, 24 July 2020.
Patient Services Advisor – Scheduling/NTPF
Full Time Permanent Role
UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Waterford
Reports to: Patient Services Manager
The patient services team provides end to end administration support to the hospital and its functions. Patient services manage all queries, telephone calls, and correspondence (paper and electronic) for the following areas, but are not limited to: front of house, admissions, diagnostics scheduling, diagnostic reception, outpatient clinics, medical records, and medical secretaries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Front of House and Phones – Switch
- Deliver an excellent patient-centred experience to all stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Manage all contractor, visitor, and patient pathways daily, adhering to policies and procedures and ensuring a professional service is always delivered.
- Distribution and tracking daily of key registration process for all internal stakeholders.
- Manage car park enquires in conjunction with the UPMC security team.
- Manage call volumes to switch and action all queries in an efficient and professional manner.
- Manage all voicemails on the weblog, deliver messages to relevant internal colleagues, and call back callers to confirm receipt of message and actions taken to follow up.
- Responsible for Healthlink, the health mail platform. Ensure all referrals are responded to and sent to our consultants internally. All generic referrals are followed up for clinical vetting and distributed according.
- Central referral management. Distribution and registering of referrals to diagnostics team.
- Action all referrals and process efficiently, communicating with referring sources to confirm receipt of referrals and ensure compliance with International patient safety goals of accuracy in patients’ details.
- Liaise with patients to ensure we have their most up to date demographics and, where applicable, health insurance details.
- Work closely with the multidisciplinary teams in theatre, diagnostics, suites, and the wards to ensure both outpatient and inpatient appointments are accurately scheduled.
- Meet scheduling KPI’s ensuring compliance to scheduling process in RIS, ISOFT, and Certify software.
- Ensure insurance verification process is adhered to and all patients are notified in advance of payments due where applicable.
- Logging receipt of NTPF referrals, ensuring all external hospital referrals match order numbers issued by the NTPF to UPMC Whitfield Hospital.
- Scanning all referrals to database and creating MRN in ISOFT and ensuring database is kept up to date at all times.
- Communicate with patients where necessary.
- Create and verify weekly reports to NTPF.
- Following up with public hospitals on any referrals that have been omitted and or any extra patient information that may be required.
- Presentation of referrals to the NTPF clinical lead in UPMC Whitfield Hospital.
- Monitoring of referrals to ensure all patients have a procedure date within the allotted timeframe.
- Gathering all post procedure correspondence, scan to database and match it with invoices and return to referring hospital.
Admissions, Cardiology and Diagnostics
- Responsibility for the smooth running and admission of all patients attending the admissions, cardiology, and diagnostics desk daily. The patient services advisors work closely with the clinical team, suites, patient services manager, and revenue manager to ensure the smooth running of all admissions.
- All patients’ details must be checked and confirmed in accordance with international patient safety goal no. 1.
- All insurance and revenue collections are completed daily.
- DNA and cancellations are actioned and communicated to all relevant departments.
- Diagnostics reports, discs, and referrals are managed in conjunction with the diagnostics and radiology team. All reports are actioned daily and distributed internally and externally to referring sources.
To efficiently manage the distribution and filing of patient’s charts in the hospital on a daily basis through the hospital patient management system and by continuous liaison with the ward, pre-assessment nurses, scheduling team, accounts, and consultant’s secretaries to ensure efficient chart management and distribution.
- To ensure charts are filed in an effective and efficient manner in the Medical Records storage room.
- To liaise with the patient services manager and the director of quality and patient safety when dealing with requests for medical records for all data protection requests.
- To trace medical records as they enter and leave medical records and ensure that this is done on a timely basis.
- To review booking forms and make up charts for existing patients according to department protocol, priority, physical, routine.
- To review patient medical record numbers on a regular basis to ensure that no duplication of medical record numbers takes place.
- To file all correspondence, blood, histologies, and other test results in patient’s charts in line with department KPI’s.
- To take a pro-active role in the development of the medical records function within the hospital and to make recommendations as regards future storage.
Knowledge and Experience
- Two years’ experience in a similar role.
Education and Skill Requirements
- Business and secretarial qualification.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.