Post: Patient Services Advisor/Medical Secretary
Reports To: Patient Services Manager
Overview of the Post
The Patient Services Team provides end to end administration support to the hospital and its functions. Patient Services manage all queries, telephone calls and correspondence (paper and electronic) for the following areas, but are not limited to, Front of House, Admissions, Diagnostics Scheduling, Diagnostic reception, Outpatient clinics, Medical Records, and Medical Secretaries.
The Medical Secretary team provide administrative support to a selection of Consultants across the following specialities: Urology, Oncology, Haematology, Cardiology and General Surgery.
Responsible for the efficient processing of all Patient Service functions throughout the Hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities
Front of House and Phones – Switch
- Deliver a patient centred excellence experience to all our patients and stakeholders internally and externally.
- Manage all Contractor, Visitor and patient pathways daily, adhering to policies and procedures and ensuring a professional service is always delivered.
- Distribution and tracking daily of key registration process for all internal stakeholders.
- Manage car park enquires in conjunction with the UPMC Security team.
- Manage call volumes to switch and action all queries in an efficient and professional manner
- Manage all voicemails on the weblog, deliver messages to relevant internal colleagues and call back callers to confirm receipt of message and actions taken to follow up.
- Responsible for Healthlink, the health mail platform. Ensure all referrals are responded to and sent to our consultants internally. All generic referrals are followed up for clinical vetting and distributed according.
- Central referral management. Distribution and registering of referrals to Diagnostics team
- Action all referrals and process efficiently. Communicating with referring sources to confirm receipt of referrals and ensure compliance with International patient safety goals of accuracy in patients’ details.
- Liaise with patients to ensure we have their most up to date demographics and where applicable, health Insurance details.
- Work closely with the multidisciplinary teams in Diagnostics, Suites and the wards to ensure both outpatient and inpatient appointments are accurately scheduled.
- Meet scheduling KPI’s ensuring compliance to scheduling process in RIS / ISOFT/ Eclaims software.
- Ensure Insurance verification process is adhered to and all patients are notified in advance of payments due where applicable
Admissions, Cardiology & Diagnostics
- Responsibility for the smooth running and admission of all patients attending the admissions, Cardiology and Diagnostics desk daily. The Patient Services Advisors work closely with the Clinical team, Suites, Patient Services Manager, and Revenue Manager to ensure the smooth running of all admissions.
- All patients’ details must be checked and confirmed in accordance with the International patient safety goal#1.
- All Insurance & revenue collections are completed daily.
- DNA & cancellations are actioned and communicated to all relevant departments.
- Diagnostics reports/ discs and referrals are managed in conjunction with the Diagnostics and Radiology team. All reports are actioned daily and distributed internally and externally to referring sources
To efficiently manage the distribution and filing of patient’s charts in the hospital on a daily basis through the hospital patient management system and by continuous liaison with the ward, pre-assessment nurses, scheduling team, accounts and consultant’s secretaries to ensure efficient chart management and distribution
- To liaise with the Patient Services Manager and the Director of Quality & Patient Safety when dealing with requests for medical records for all Data protection requests.
- To trace medical records as they enter and leave medical records and ensure that this is done on a timely basis.
- To review booking forms and make up charts for existing patients according to department protocol; Priority, Physical, Routine.
- To review patient medical record numbers on a regular basis to ensure that no duplication of medical record numbers takes place.
- To file all correspondence, blood, histology’s and other test results in patient’s charts in line with department KPI’s.
- To ensure charts are filed in an effective and efficient manner in the Medical Records storage room.
- To take a pro-active role in the development of the medical records function within the Hospital and to make recommendations as regards future storage.
- To be responsible for the administration /medical secretary function for the Hospital suites. To meet, greet and book in patients on the day of the clinic in an efficient manner.
- To provide an efficient service in setting up and expansion of clinics as required. This will involve promptly dealing with phone calls, and referral letters from GP’s. Contacting patients regarding appointment times and fees to be paid.
- To gather information from other hospitals as required by consultants, such as scans, histology reports, pathology reports, etc.
- To handle cash payments for the consultants and ensure same is entered on the system and balanced daily. To ensure that all billing of patients takes place on a prompt and regular basis and all patient accounts are kept up to date
- To complete any medical reporting required after consultations have taken place in a timely manner and ensure copies are sent to the correct patients.
- To deal with any patient enquiries as they arise as promptly as possible.
- To maintain proper and efficient filing systems for each consultant as required. Keep the practice software updated at all times (DGL/ IMED/TPRO).
- To liaise with and maintain an excellent working relationship with other members of the hospital multi-disciplinary team thus ensuring that the high level of patient service is always maintained.
- To work closely with the hospital scheduling team and adhering always with the hospital booking policy to ensure that all patients are booked within the correct timeframe.
- To answer telephone calls in a polite, courteous and professional manner, taking messages or distributing calls as appropriate.
- To carry out any training duties as necessary for relief staff / work experience staff for holiday cover.
- Business/Secretarial Qualification
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Packages.
Knowledge and Experience
- Two years’ experience in a similar role
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
Please send letter of application along with an up to date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Co-Ordinator, UPMC Whitfield, Cork Road, Waterford or by email to email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Tuesday 14th January 2020.