Please send a letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Coordinator, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday, 29 January 2021.
Ophthalmology Services Manager (Eye Manager)
UPMC Kildare Hospital, Clane
Hours: 39 hours per week
Reports to: CEO, IOES
Accountable to: UPMC and Institute of Eye Surgery (IOES) Joint Governance Committee
The eye manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of hospital eye services with the aim of driving operational efficiencies and ophthalmology service line growth. This collaborative role must have the ability to work across both hospital and professional services staff and assess current procedures and workflows to improve efficiency in delivering ophthalmology services while maintaining the highest quality and outcome standards and compliance within the service line. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of new services and driving ophthalmology service line outreach and business development efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Managerial and Business
- Utilizing a shared governance approach, works collaboratively with UPMC director of clinical services and IOES COO to analyse Ophthalmology operations processes and implement changes.
- Supports day-to-day management of the hospital eye services with the aim of driving operational efficiencies and ophthalmology service line growth.
- Develops a thorough understanding of hospital eye services administration process. Reviews work practices to ensure maximum utilization of resources.
- Works closely with the Joint Governance Committee on management, tracking, and completing of all ophthalmology initiatives and goals.
- Promotes ophthalmology services within the region and coordinates marketing and branding initiatives with functional leaders.
- Organizes meetings of the UPMC-IOES Joint Governance Committee and conducts ophthalmology service line report-outs.
- Liaises with UPMC CFO to monitor and analyses financial performance, including profitability and volume metrics. Implements appropriate measurable changes to increase efficiencies, enhance revenue, and control expenses.
- Drives timely implementation of new programme implementation within budget guidelines while securing necessary resources.
- Assesses personnel and equipment needs and makes recommendations for changes based on fact and financial return.
- Liaises with UPMC CFO regarding the establishment of new services pricing and reimbursement and procurement of equipment.
- Oversees ophthalmology related new construction, renovation projects, and business utilization. Assess existing needs and plans for new programmes to meet the site’s needs.
- With the support of UPMC CFO, leads the preparation of business plans and annual budgets for the ophthalmology service line for approval by the Joint Governance Committee.
- Leads and implements change in all areas of the eye business.
- Demonstrates strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills and the ability to lead multi-functional teams to successful outcomes.
- Manages effectively through others by establishing predetermined goals and objectives. Utilizes techniques for inspecting results in a consistent and reportable manner.
Clinical Operations Management
- Liaises with UPMC director of clinical services and director of nursing to coordinate, assess, plan, deliver, and review ophthalmology services.
- Acts as a positive role model and provide support and advice to staff. Demonstrate expert practice where appropriate. Lead by example through visible leadership to motivate and empower others.
- Manages clinic utilization and patient outcomes and ensures that the available clinic resources are used in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Promotes standardisation, consistency, and compliance in practices, procedures, and workflow to improve efficiency, quality, outcomes, and compliance.
- Ensures adequate personnel coverage to meet volume demands and adjusts schedules as necessary in order to ensure patient safety standards.
- Directs the development of clinical staff around new procedures and techniques in consultation with the director of nursing.
- Collaborates with peers and staff to ensure understanding and execution of operational and business requirements.
- Develops, maintains, and evaluates effective and efficient use of clinical and administrative service line staff, facilities and theatre utilization, equipment, and other resources.
- Ensures that all teams are working together to maintain the highest standards of patient care and safety.
Quality and Regulatory Assurance
- Liaises with the director of quality and patient safety to develop, coordinate, and implement quality management in theatre, AMD, and outpatient clinics.
- Serves as a liaison to the compliance department and provides periodic reporting on compliance monitoring activities.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements and accreditation.
- Works collaboratively with clinicians and all staff to maintain high standards for quality service.
- Understands service and provider platforms and act as support to projects, regulatory matters, and initiatives.
- Identifies opportunities to improve patient safety and participates in projects and programmes designed to reduce errors, improve processes, and to create a mindfulness culture for patient safety
- Takes a proactive role in the hospital accreditation process or other compliance certification.
Professional Accountability and Educational Development
- Through positive leadership techniques, develops a shared sense of commitment and participation across both UPMC and IOES staff. Interacts with staff in a supportive and professional manner and promotes positive relations.
- Plans and organizes in-service training for staff members and participates in guidance and education for new ophthalmology procedures and consultants.
- Engages in studies and investigations to improve the delivery of services.
- Assesses learning needs of staff utilizing surveys, quality program results, advice from clinicians, and new processes and procedures.
- Understands goals, expectations, and objectives that drive a positive patient experience and obtains compliant outcomes.
- Cultivates a strong internal culture focused on collaboration, feedback, motivation, and accountability.
- Sets standards for professionalism, productivity, and efficiency
- Encourages creativity and works through staff to get the job done.
- Acts as a positive role model with regards to the healthcare facilities’ ethos.
- All other duties as assigned.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the service needs of the hospital and professional eye services change, the above duties will be subject to change and flexibility.
The work performance of the post holder will be appraised during their probationary period and annually thereafter.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.