Post: Medical Secretary
Reports To: Patient Services Manager
Overview of the Post
The Medical Secretary team provide administrative support to a selection of Consultants across
the following specialities: Urology, Oncology, Haematology, Cardiology and General Surgery.
Responsible for the efficient processing of all Patient Service functions throughout the Hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities
· To be responsible for the administration /medical secretary function for the Hospital suites. To meet, greet and book in patients on the day of the clinic in an efficient manner.
· To provide an efficient service in setting up and expansion of clinics as required. This will involve promptly dealing with phone calls, and referral letters from GP’s. Contacting patients regarding appointment times and fees to be paid.
· To gather information from other hospitals as required by consultants, such as scans, histology reports, pathology reports, etc.
· To handle cash payments for the consultants and ensure same is entered on the system and balanced daily. To ensure that all billing of patients takes place on a prompt and regular basis and all patient accounts are kept up to date
· To complete any medical reporting required after consultations have taken place in a timely manner and ensure copies are sent to the correct patients.
· To deal with any patient enquiries as they arise as promptly as possible.
· To maintain proper and efficient filing systems for each consultant as required. Keep the practice software updated at all times (DGL/ IMED/TPRO).
· To liaise with and maintain an excellent working relationship with other members of the hospital multi-disciplinary team thus ensuring that the high level of patient service is always maintained.
· To work closely with the hospital scheduling team and adhering always with the hospital booking policy to ensure that all patients are booked within the correct timeframe.
· To answer telephone calls in a polite, courteous and professional manner, taking messages or distributing calls as appropriate.
· To carry out any training duties as necessary for relief staff / work experience staff for holiday cover.
· Business/Secretarial Qualification
· Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Packages.
Knowledge and Experience
· Two years’ experience in a similar role
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant.
Please send letter of application along with an up to date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Co-Ordinator, UPMC Whitfield, Cork Road, Waterford or by email to email@example.com Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Wednesday 5th February 2020.