Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Co-ordinator, UPMC Whitfield, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 14 June 2020.
Reports to: Patient Services Manager
The Medical Secretary team provides administrative support to a selection of Consultants across the following specialities: Urology, Oncology, Haematology, Cardiology, and General Surgery. Responsible for the efficient processing of all patient service functions throughout the hospital.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To be responsible for the administration and medical secretary function for the hospital suites. To meet, greet, and book in patients on the day of the clinic in an efficient manner.
- To provide an efficient service in setting up and expansion of clinics as required. This will involve promptly dealing with phone calls and referral letters from GPs. Contacting patients regarding appointment times and fees to be paid.
- To gather information from other hospitals as required by consultants, such as scans, histology reports, and pathology reports.
- To handle cash payments for the consultants and ensure same is entered on the system and balanced daily. To ensure that all billing of patients takes place on a prompt and regular basis and all patient accounts are kept up to date
- To complete any medical reporting required after consultations have taken place in a timely manner and ensure copies are sent to the correct patients.
- To deal with any patient enquiries as they arise as promptly as possible.
- To maintain proper and efficient filing systems for each consultant as required. Keep the practice software updated at all times (DGL, IMED, and TPRO).
- To liaise with and maintain an excellent working relationship with other members of the hospital multi-disciplinary team thus ensuring that the high level of patient service is always maintained.
- To work closely with the hospital scheduling team and adhere always with the hospital booking policy to ensure that all patients are booked within the correct timeframe.
- To answer telephone calls in a polite, courteous, and professional manner, taking messages or distributing calls as appropriate.
- To carry out any training duties as necessary for relief staff and work experience staff for holiday cover.
Knowledge and Experience
- Two years’ experience in a similar role.
- Business and Secretarial Qualification.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Packages.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.