Applications from suitably qualified candidates for the below position is by way of letter of application and curriculum vitae to Fiona Horan, HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday, 14 May 2021.
Linux System Engineer
Based at: Global Technology Operations Centre, Kilkenny
This position will be a member of the Unix Support team, responsible for provisioning and support of UPMC’s IBM AIX and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) solutions. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of Unix or Linux systems. The support includes 24×7 production support, on a rotating basis with the other team members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports our servers through the life-cycle: provisioning, supporting, updating, patching, and retirement of servers.
- System Administration: Establish a basic knowledge of current and planned system/server service levels and develop the ability to identify signs of system/server performance degradation. Resolves and documents basic operational problems. Performs basic user administration and OS installations, conducts system/server troubleshooting, applies basic OS patches and installs basic software packages under supervision.
- Ability to work as a member of the department and with counterparts in other parts of UPMC.
- Establish a positive working relationship with the application teams, and provide superior customer service.
- Follow our corporate standards for incident, change, task, and problem management.
- Follow, maintain, and provide processes and procedures for providing reliable, available, secure systems.
- Convey courtesy, enthusiasm, positive attitude, and service to support management involving patients, medical staff, physicians, administration, etc.
- Develop simple systems for department and provide ongoing support for these systems.
- Hardware / Platform engineering & support: establish a basic understanding of operational characteristics of supported hardware. Perform basic troubleshooting of supported hardware and related software.
- Operating system: assists in testing, debugging, modifying, tuning, and documenting operating system and related software.
- Project management skills: plans and manages own work effort.
- Provide ongoing troubleshooting, support, and maintenance of production systems, including 24/7 on call coverage.
- Provide support for application teams for the development and testing of their Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Typically has completed a four-year academic degree including courses in computer programming, systems analysis, system development, or systems engineering or has acquired Core IT skills and knowledge via practical experience.
- Has mastered the essential knowledge base for an IT professional.
- Has mastered the essential IT principles and analytical rules that guide their application in practical situations.
- Able to perform basic/standard IT procedures and protocols.
- Relies on buddy system/coach to demonstrate applied skills and to guide non-routine actions.
- Basic knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and / or IBM AIX.
- Experience with Aix or Linux servers in a virtualized environments.
- Any experience related to Unix systems such as RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu, openSUSE would be a plus.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of Linux scripting languages.
- Basic knowledge about configuration management tools, such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Basic programming experience and familiarity with scripting technologies such as bash, ksh, shell, python, ruby, etc. Any other programming experience would be a plus.
- Familiarity with load balancing, firewalls, DNS, etc.
- Good understanding of systems integration to be able to design solutions that would meet the enterprise need.
- Ability to troubleshoot and critically think through problems and produce technical solutions that are dependable, modifiable and scalable.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and strong technical learning aptitude required and a strong team player capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As UPMC and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the organisation.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.