Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Fiona Horan, HR Manager, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 10 October 2021.
HR Manager, UPMC Whitfield Hospital
Based at: UPMC Whitfield Hospital
Reports to: Senior Director Human Resources
Overview of the post:
The HR Manager will lead and manage a team of HR professionals and provide operational support to the UPMC Ireland business including UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Hillman Cork Cancer Center and the Global Technology Operation Centre (GTOC) based in Kilkenny. As a UPMC employee you will be expected to adopt the overarching mission, vision and Values of UPMC, uphold the highest level of confidence and work to understand the specific departments and services of UPMC Ireland.
The candidate for this position will be a dynamic fact paced individual who can self-manage, follow direction and also ensure team tasks are completed to the standard consistent with UPMC expectations. The right individual will have strong relationship management and employee relations skills and will be able to present and deliver work with high quality outcomes. This position is suited to a person who has excellent leadership, collaborative and organisational skills and has an ability to multitask and prioritize.
Ultimately, the successful applicant will ensure the efficient and smooth day-to-day Human Resources operations for the business allowing frontline services to focus on patient care delivery. While this role will be based at UPMC Whitfield in Waterford travel to other locations will also be required.
- Oversight of managing the busy operations of a day-to-day HR function supporting approximately 450 employees
- Project manage the design, development and refresh of all HR process and procedures establishing the HR function as a centre of excellence
- Manage & develop a team of driven HR Business Partners and HR Administrators across sites
- Drive the operational HR objectives.in partnership with key stakeholders
- Deliver and drive the employee engagement and talent management initiatives as required
- Manage ER issues at a strategic and operational level and keep up to date with employment law landscape
- Create and foster a positive and values-based culture across the organisation leading to a great place to work
- Drive and deliver strategic HR projects as required working with team members
- Build solid relationships with all stakeholders championing a patient and employee centric culture
Health & Safety
As an employee of UPMC you have a responsibility to:
- Take reasonable care of your own Health and Safety and that of any other person who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.
- Co-operate with UPMC in ensuring that statutory regulations, codes of practice, local policies and departmental health and safety rules are adhered to
- Not intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health and safety.
UPMC is committed to compliance with Information Governance standards to ensure that all information is handled legally, securely, efficiently, and effectively. You are required to comply with the UPMC information governance policies and standards.
- Confidentiality and Security – Your attention is drawn to the confidential nature of information collected within UPMC. Whilst you are employed by UPMC you will encounter confidential information and data relating to the work of UPMC, its patients or employees. You are bound by your conditions of service to respect the confidentiality of any information you may encounter which identifies patients, employees or other UPMC personnel, or business information of the organisation. You also have a duty to ensure that all confidential information is always held securely, both on and off site.
- Disclosure of Information – The unauthorised use or disclosure of information relating to UPMC activities or affairs, the treatment of patients or the personal details of an employee, will normally be considered a serious disciplinary offence which could result in dismissal. Upon leaving UPMC employment and at any time thereafter you must not take advantage of or disclose confidential information that you learnt in the course of your employment. Unauthorised disclosure of any of this information may be deemed as a criminal offence.
- Information Quality and Records Management – You must ensure that all information handled by you is accurate and kept up-to-date and you must comply with recording, monitoring, validation and improvement schemes and processes.
Professional Standards and Engagement & Competency Process
As an employee of UPMC you have a responsibility to:
- Demonstrate in your behaviors and adhere to the UPMC values of Quality & Safety, Dignity & Respect, Caring & Listening, Responsibility & Integrity and Excellence & Innovation
- Participate in statutory and mandatory training as appropriate for the post
- Maintain consistently high personal and professional standards and act in accordance with the relevant professional code of conduct
- Take responsibility for the maintenance and improvement of personal and professional competence and to encourage that of colleagues and subordinates
- Participate in UPMC’s Engagement & Competency processes including identifying performance standards for the post, personal objective setting and the creation of a personal development plan.
UPMC is committed to behaving responsibly in the way we manage transport, procurement, our facilities, employment, skills, and our engagement with the local community so that we can make a positive contribution to society. As an employee of UPMC you have a responsibility to take measures to support our contribution and to reduce the environmental impact of our activities relating to energy and water usage, transport, and waste.
This job description represents a summary of the main responsibilities of the post and not an exhaustive list of duties to be undertaken. The duties may be redefined following discussion with the line manager.
Skills essential to the post:
Leadership and people management skills with a proven track record of building a high -performance team of professionals
- Relationship building and collaboration skills and the ability to communicate and deal with strong personalities
- Change management skills and methodologies
- Process mapping and design skills
- Attention to detail & analytical capabilities
- Ability to multitask and prioritise accordingly in a fast -paced environment with changing requirements
- IT skills, proficiency in.
- MS Word/PowerPoint/Excel
- Mega HR or HRIS systems
- Infographics/organisational structures/workflow productions
- Clockwise Time & Attendance system
- Degree or 3rd level qualification in business or Human Resources
- CIPD membership is desirable
- Hospital experience along with a knowledge of relevant Hospital accreditation processes would be an advantage
- Five years of experience in a similar position is essential
Job specific competencies and knowledge:
- Effective leadership and communication skills
- Organisation and time management skills
- Effective analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Commitment to provide a quality service
Ability to work efficiently with all stakeholders upholding UPMC values in all interactions. Should be enthusiastic with a growth mindset.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility and deliverables at the time of its writing. As the Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review considering the changing needs of the service.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.