Your Healthcare Record
This information will tell you how to get a copy of your own records from UPMC Whitfield Hospital. If you want to get a copy of your own records you can send your request in writing to:
Data Protection Officer,
Medical Records Department,
UPMC Whitfield Hospital
By e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your request needs to contain the following:
- Your name at the time you were a patient, if it differs from your present name
- Your date of birth
- Your address at the time of treatment
- Details of the information you are looking for (for example records during a date range or requesting a copy of x-rays)
- Your present home address and telephone contact details
- A photocopy of photo ID – either your passport or your driving licence. Please note that your ID must match the name on the records you are seeking, otherwise we may require you to provide us with further details.
- Any additional information which you feel is important to your request
If you intend to change address before your records are expected to be ready, you must ensure that we have up to date contact details for you, including a phone number so that we can contact you as we process your request.
Allowing somebody else to access your records:
- There may be times when you want somebody else to access your records, for example, your GP, consultant or a family member.
- We will only give your records to someone else when we have your consent to do so.
- Requests should be made as stated above, but we must also receive a letter signed by you, stating that you give your consent to the release of the records.
- We will also need a copy of your passport or driving licence.
- We may contact you about the request to release your records.
There is no fee for requesting your medical records unless the cost of doing so is considered substantial
How long will the request take?
We aim to have your records ready for you within 30 days of us receiving your request for records.
How will I get the records?
Your records will be sent to you by registered post. Any records undelivered by An Post will be returned to us if uncollected within the stated timeframe. We will require a further postage payment to resend your records. Records cannot be e-mailed or collected in person.
Personal Data Processing Privacy Notice:
This notice describes how UPMC Whitfield Hospital collects and processes your personal data, including sensitive health data.
At UPMC Whitfield Hospital we take your privacy very seriously. It is important that you know exactly what we do with Personal and Sensitive Personal Information (“Personal Data”) that you and others provide to us, why we gather it and what it means to you.
In order to treat you, we will need to store data about you, process it and if required, may send it to other health care professionals. You have the right to be informed about your Personal Data that will be entered into our system and the purpose(s) for which they will be processed. We are committed to processing, protecting and respecting all Personal Data about you under national and EU data protection legislation. To lawfully process your Personal Data, we are required to obtain and record explicit consent from you.
In the course of your treatment or utilising any of the healthcare services of UPMC Whitfield Hospital, your Personal Data relating to you and/or your next of kin/legal representative for emergency contact, may be processed by the health and administrative staff of UPMC Whitfield Hospital, its appointed Data Processers and third parties who provide services to UPMC Whitfield Hospital (such as, professionals, consultants, external laboratories, insurers, etc.). Such processing of Personal Data may include its collection, recording, retrieval, use, retention, and disposal/destruction. Personal Data may include birthdate, address, nationality, sex, contact information, medical information, medication, medical history, health insurance details, religious affiliation (where relevant) and other information which are relevant for the purpose of your diagnoses, treatment and/or availment of healthcare services in the Hospital.
Some of your Personal/Sensitive data is recorded in electronic format and stored and processed securely on IT systems owned and managed by us within our premises or in secure cloud hosted data centers within the EU. As a data controller we may use third party data processors to assist us in processing the data. They are subject to the same professional codes of conduct, national laws and EU data protection legislation as well as binding contracts.
The Personal Data you provide will be retained by UPMC Whitfield Hospital as prescribed by the law, or as long as necessary for the purpose of maintaining your medical records and to comply with the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.
Why is My Data Processed?
1. In Order for you to Receive Care:
Your personal data is collected and processed so that you can receive the necessary healthcare treatment, and for related administrative and accounting communications and financial obligations. This is an essential part of the preparation of treatment and may also include being contacted by the pre-operative assessment nurses (where necessary) or other communications regarding dates of upcoming appointments and/or to receive surgery/ treatment preparation instructions.
Your anonymised data will also be used for monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of health care provided such as appropriateness and quality of care, and risk factors for health.
To receive information/marketing material:
You will be asked to consent to the processing of your data, so that you can receive information or other marketing material from UPMC Whitfield Hospital (via email, post or SMS). By refusing to give consent to receiving such information will not affect your ability to receive treatment at UPMC Whitfield Hospital.
You will be asked to consent to the processing of your data (collected within clinical practice and de-identified by removal of your name) for research conducted by UPMC Whitfield Hospital. By refusing to give consent to the processing of your data for research purposes will not affect your ability to receive treatment at UPMC Whitfield Hospital.
You have the right to revoke your consent, to request access to your data collected by UPMC Whitfield Hospital, to ascertain whether the data are accurate, complete, up-to-date, and to exercise other rights under European law (including the right to know who has access to your healthcare data) by contacting UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s Data Protection Officer at email@example.com or by writing to the following address:
Data Protection Officer,
UPMC Whitfield Hospital,
- Your rights under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018 may be accessed and downloaded at https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/GDPR
- You may consult UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may request the hospital staff to explain or refer you to someone who can explain your rights to your Personal Data as defined by the data privacy act.
What are My Rights According to the Law?
Your rights are identified by the Data Protection Commissioner. You have the right to:
- have your data used in line with the data protection regulations;
- receive confirmation that the Centre holds your personal data and why;
- access your personal details;
- know if personal details are being held;
- change or remove your details
- prevent use of your personal details
- remove your details from a direct marketing list
- object to use of your details (under certain circumstances)
- freedom from automated decision making
- refuse direct marketing calls or mail