Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Coordinator, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Friday, 18 September 2020.
Health Care Assistant
UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Waterford
Reports to: Director of Nursing
To manage all operating theatre activity within UPMC Whitfield Hospital and promoting effective nursing and care practice, whilst managing hospital staff and non-hospital staff to ensure efficient day-to-day management of services. To work in collaboration with the director of nursing and other members of the inter-professional team, ensuring that the use of theatres and outpatients department is effective, and that nurse led discharge is promoted.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist RGN in the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of evidence-based practice, including health promotion.
- To assist RGN in the setting of quality standards, including monitoring and reviewing in line with current clinical guidelines and policy.
- To act in the best interest of patients at all times.
- Maintaining a professional focus towards your duties in keeping with UPMC Whitfield Hospital values.
- To adhere to all of the requirements of the hospital policies, procedures and guidelines.
- To observe and complete confidentiality of all information including awareness and adherence to the legal requirements of GDPR.
- To undertake any other duties and responsibilities as determined by the director of nursing within the parameters of the post.
- To rotate between departments of the hospital as requested.
- To have awareness of budgetary control, and the ability to demonstrate economic measures where possible.
- To liaise with stores regarding replenishing of stock, using requisitions as set out by the stores department.
- To ensure all stock areas, sluices, and general areas are kept clutter free and tidy at all times.
- To liaise with housekeeping regarding rooms ready for cleaning.
- To liaise with facilities management regarding maintenance of equipment and the facility in general. Responsible for reporting on changes in patients’ conditions as observed to the nurse in charge.
- To escort patients as required to other departments within the hospital assuring the health and safety of patients, self and colleagues at all times.
- Perform delegated clinical and non-clinical duties as required by the nurse in charge without the need for direct clinical supervision.
- Be responsible for accurately recording patient’s valuables and property within hospital guidelines.
- Assist the patient in performing daily activities of living promoting independence as far as is therapeutic.
- Undergo in house clinical training programmes and undergo all training as applicable to the post including mandatory and statutory training.
- Manage emergency situations as per UPMC Whitfield Hospital policy.
- Adhere to all UPMC Whitfield Hospital policies.
Professional Accountability and Development
- Responsible for participation in hospital appraisal process, which identifies in conjunction with appraiser your own professional development and training needs.
- To participate in hospital developments under the direction of your clinical supervisor to maximise personal development and patient care.
- To respect and value differing therapeutic processes within the multi-disciplinary team while ensuring that the agreed ethos and philosophy is adopted and followed.
- Responsible for ensuring confidentiality is maintained at all times in accordance with GDPR and hospital policy.
- Responsible for conducting oneself in a professional manner towards patients, visitors and colleagues.
- To undertake and participate in ongoing training related to the role and to comply with all mandatory and statutory training as below:
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
- Radiation protection.
- Lifting and positioning patients.
- Fire prevention.
- Health and safety.
- Opportunities may arise for phlebotomy and ECG training where applicable.
Quality and Audit
- Participate in local audits in preparation for annual accreditation.
- Work closely with the quality and patient safety team, ensuring the department is meeting accreditation standards at all times.
Health and Safety
- To uphold UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to fire, infection control, and health and safety at work regulations, and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients, and visitors and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety, and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post
The Post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- Relevant FETAC Level 5 Qualification.
- At least six months’ experience in a care environment.
- Experience in phlebotomy and ECG is an advantage.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the needs of UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Hospital.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.