Post: Consultant Radiation Oncologist
Reports To: Medical Director
Overview of the Post
- Ensure the provision of quality patient care, whilst maximising efficiency in accordance with company policies and procedures
- Main Responsibilities Include:
- Maintains an atmosphere of caring, concern and support for patients.
- Completes patient assessment within time frame laid down in Departmental policy.
- Communicates to inpatient staff and referring physicians treatment related information as needed.
- Assists with scheduling of required outpatient lab tests, x-rays, scans, etc. as needed.
- Maintains standards in all aspects of work, with reference to current standards of practice.
- Maintains current BLS skills and attend all in-house health and safety training (e.g. fire, manual handling etc.) as required.
- Performs related responsibilities as required by the Medical Director.
Skills Essential to the Post
- Current registration with the Irish Medical Council.
- Must possess competent clinical and interactive skills with adult and geriatric patients.
- Function well in a team environment both as a participant as well as in a leadership role.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work.
- Experience of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to motivate, influence, inspire and encourage different ways of working.
- Ability to prioritise and to deliver to short deadlines.
- Completion of Mandatory Training as required by UPMC Policy, including but not limited to:
- Fire Training – Annual
- Radiation Safety Training – Annual
- Infection Prevention and Control Training – Annual
- BCLS Training – Biennial
- ICHGCP Training – Biennial
- ICORG PI Training – Triennial
- Manual Handling and Patient Movement Training – Triennial
- Appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate qualification that enables full registration with the Irish Medical Council on the General Register and on the Specialist Register for Radiation Oncology
- Current Registration with the Irish Medical Council (Copy of Certificate)
- Current Medical Insurance Liability (Copy of Certificate from HR)
- Current Certificate of Compliance with Professional Competence
- Current Documents certifying compliance with mandatory training programs (BLS, GCP, Radiation Safety, Fire Safety etc.)
- Appropriate post registration clinical experience as determined by the Medical Director.
General Personal Competencies:
- Provision of an open caring environment for all referred patients, where proper explanation of treatment approach, careful treatment delivery and appropriate follow up is provided.
- All posts in UPMC Radiation Oncology require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required the Medical Director.
- Maintain strict confidentiality with patient and employee or any other information in accordance with all UPMC Whitfield and Cork Cancer Centre policies and procedures.
- Provision of consultative services within the scope of the Departmental Policy for the provision of consultation in the inpatient and outpatient settings, in both the public and private domains, and on site at the Whitfield and Cork Cancer Centres, Waterford Regional Hospital and other Regional Hospitals (in Kilkenny, Tipperary, Wexford, Carlow and Waterford.
- The venues for consultation will be determined by the needs of UPMC and the HSE and by the availability of the Physicians.
- Thorough clinical evaluation, careful explanation to patients and family and considered and collaborative decision making is necessary for the proper delivery of radiation oncology services to the patients referred to our facility.
Radiation Treatment Planning:
- Through the use of the Radiotherapy Treatment Booking Form, accurate and complete request for the planning process is required for each patient.
- The provision, with the appropriate assistance of Dosimetrist and Physicist support, of contouring for the purpose of treatment planning.
- Participation with Medical Physics staff in the process of treatment planning.
- Full plan evaluation and plan sign off according to the prescribed planning care path.
- Provision of accurate and thorough documentation of the planning philosophy and process using the Planning Review Forms (ref) with mandatory cross checking between Consultants.
Radiation Treatment Delivery:
- In line with the relevant departmental policy (CP021), it is a requirement, where possible, for there to be a Physician on site at all times while patients are receiving radiation treatment.
- A Physician needs to be on site, or accessible, to answer planning and treatment related queries, including field checks, on set mark-up etc.
- Physicians will participate in offline review of treatment delivery, in conjunction with nominated senior Radiation Therapists and Physicists. Accurate and complete, legible record keeping.
- Timely maintenance of Physician related administrative function including:
- Aria diagnosis, Medical History forms, Investigation requests, prescriptions etc.
- Timely attention to the various stages of planning documentation.
- Multidisciplinary Team Meetings in all hospitals in which UPMC participates in the provision of patient care.
- Leadership and Participation in Quality Control related functions:
- Management meetings (Medical Director)
- New Patient Review Meetings
- Planning Review Meetings
- Morbidity & Mortality Review
- Continuous Quality Initiative Meetings
- Radiation Safety Committee Meetings
- Hospital Management Meetings (Medical Director)
Education & Research
- Leadership and participation in Departmental Educational Meetings.
- Mandatory Clinical and non-Clinical Training (BLC, GCP, Fire safety etc)
- UPMC/D3 e-Rounds
- Other education activity (Conferences, lectures etc) to meet the requirements of the statutory rules regarding Professional Competence Assurance.
- Participation, within the departmental framework and guidelines, in research which may be multi-institutional (ICORG) or internal.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield and Cork Cancer Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.