Applications from suitably qualified candidates for the above position is by way of cover letter and CV to email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 17 October 2021.
Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNM) – Medical Oncology/ Haematology
Based at: UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre at UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Waterford
Reports to: Assistant Director of Nursing
Overview of the post
The Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) of the Oncology/Haematology Unit is a key member of the hospital nursing team whose primary role is to provide leadership, innovation, mastery and clinical excellence to our patients.
Plans, directs, and coordinates the Oncology and Haematology services. Sets and carries out policies, goals, and procedures for their area and develops reports and budgets as required by the Director of Nursing. Assures that the needs of the patients and consultants in the Oncology/Haematology Unit and associated areas are met, resulting in excellent outcomes. The incumbent will ensure transparency in all matters pertaining to facility.
The post holder will work in collaboration with the Director of Nursing, the Assistant Director of Nursing and other members of the inter-professional team to ensure that the admission, transfer, and discharge of patient throughput processes are efficient, and effective and promote a nurse led service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships; complies with UPMC policies, protocols, and program regulations; prepares and maintains accurate records with appropriate documentation; recognizes and respects limits of confidential information.
- Patient Focus: Consistently delivers high levels of patient service to meet or exceed patient’s expectations.
- Team Focus: Supports and respects team members, communicating effectively and demonstrating a commitment to the team.
- Work Ethics: Demonstrates strong self-management skills, a commitment to the CNS role and flexibility to adapt to unexpected changes.
- Quality & Infection Control Focus: Knowledge of and a demonstrated commitment to the quality process, National and International Standards & Accreditation and evidence-based practices, identifying areas for improvement and contributing to these improvements. Taking accountability in quality, infection control and prevention and patient safety activities.
- Work Values: Demonstrates honesty, integrity and respect for all patients and staff teams. Adheres to UPMC Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Acts as a role model demonstrating high standards of care and providing clinical leadership to others.
- Promotes a culture that supports self-management.
- Provides specialist education and training to other professionals involved in patient care.
- Leads the development, management and promotion of the service ensuring the delivery of high quality, cost-effective care.
- Embeds patient and public involvement within the sphere of practice.
- Promotes the philosophy of person-centered care, co-creating care with people affected by cancer.
- Collates and records quantitative and qualitative data to provide evidence of productivity, outcomes, and quality, through audit and research and provides reports to the senior nursing management team as requested.
- Leads on the implementation and monitoring of adherence to relevant clinical guidelines.
- Takes personal responsibility for ensuring effective communication between all service providers.
- Actively participates in multi-professional meetings, acting as patient advocate and representing nursing views.
- Makes sure that people affected by cancer are aware of the options and services available to them both in the hospital and in the community.
- Acts as a role model for excellent advanced communication skills and expertise.
- Demonstrates skills in conflict resolution and competent negotiation skills when dealing with difficult or challenging situations.
- Leads the development of patient focused education, including training to self-manage ongoing consequences of treatment.
- Develops new skills in response to emerging knowledge and techniques.
- Works across professional boundaries using creative reasoning and problem-solving
- Instigates and manages change within a complex environment.
- Influences the development of others through education and training.
- Demonstrates high level clinical, technical and research skills through breadth and depth of knowledge.
- Uses creative reasoning, experience, and vision to advance care.
- Demonstrates continuous evaluation of practice and make changes where appropriate.
- Takes personal responsibility for life-long learning and personal development through clinical supervision, appraisal and Knowledge and Skills Framework and actively engages with learning and development opportunities offered by UPMC.
- Put’s quality at the heart of practice by delivering evidence based individualized and personalized care through holistic needs assessment, planning and evaluation of care and all care interventions.
- Actively integrates theory and practice
- Acts as a Key Worker for a clinical caseload, working to coordinate care and provide easy access for ongoing support for patients.
- Assesses people’s information needs and provides relevant information to meet those needs.
- Enables people to access, identify, appraise, and interpret information, to determine their own future.
- Provides clinical expertise, specialist advice and support across service boundaries.
- Leads the nursing contribution to service development, ensuring the pursuit of excellence in care.
- Defines a clear care pathway, refers to other professionals and signposts to other agencies as appropriate.
- Promotes the service and clinical excellence by publishing and presenting innovations, audit, and research locally and nationally.
- Influences and develops policy and clinical guidelines internally and externally.
- Promotes self-management, undertaking risk stratification to determine those who can self-manage, following education, those who will need guided support to self-manage and those who will require on-going, face to face support.
Health & Safety
- To uphold UPMC Whitfield Hospital’s policy requirements in relation to Fire, Infection Control, Radiation Safety and Health and Safety at work regulations and to attend updates.
- Identify potential risks for all staff, patients and visitors and adhere to relevant incident reporting procedures.
- To observe a general duty of care for the health, safety and well-being of self, work colleagues, visitors, and patients within the hospital, in addition to any specific risk management associated with this post.
- Any additional reasonable tasks assigned by Nursing Management from time to time
- Relevant post registration experience at Band 6 or above in cancer, palliative care or equivalent
Experience in Similar Position:
- In-depth specialist experience
- Leadership and management experience
- Ability to lead and influence change
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- IT literate
- Teaching/assessment and presentation skills
- Nursing administration, clinical skills, process, policies, problem solving clinical unit management, self-sufficient in administrative work
- Excellent prioritisation, organisation, and time management skills
- Can manage challenging situations and stress levels in staff reporting to them
- Certified in BLS
- Advanced clinical knowledge and skills in cancer
- Strong experience with central lines including ports
- Excellent IV placement skills
- Organization and negotiation skills
- Leadership and motivational skills
- Knowledge regarding quality improvement and standard of care within practice area
- Effective communication skills. Exemplary written communication skills
- Proficient in English speaking and writing
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Degree in Nursing
Professional Education / Specialist Certification:
- Post-graduation qualification in cancer/palliative care or relevant subject.
- Evidence of master’s level learning preferred or prepared to work towards
- NMBI current registration
- Evidence of continued professional development.
- Advanced communications skills training or prepared to work towards
- Chemotherapy certification preferred
- Research qualification desirable
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review considering the changing needs of the Hospital.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.