Post: Cardiac Catheterisation Laboratory Clinical Specialist
Reports To: Radiology Services Manager
Overview of the Post
The Radiology Department provides a service to both Inpatients and Outpatients. It includes General Radiography, Theatre Imaging, Ultrasound, Mammography, MRI and PET/CT services. The holder of this post will work as a member of the Radiology Department and multi- disciplinary teams, providing a high quality Cardiac Cath Lab service to patients in accordance with professional standards of practice.
The post holder will lead, guide and supervise radiographic and other staff to successfully manage the Cardiac Cath Lab service with effective utilisation of all resources allocated. They must be able to manage in a rapidly changing environment and be willing to undertake such additional duties within the Radiology Department, as may be assigned from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage in leadership when required to do so, creating and promoting healthy working relationships. Provide strategic and clinical leadership which results in the delivery of an effective, efficient, quality assured and patient centred Cardiac Cath Lab service.
- To carry out general and highly complex Cardiac, vascular and Radiographic procedures ensuring high professional standards of work are achieved and maintained while abiding by strict current legislation.
- To organise, plan and prioritise workload according to clinical need.
- Undertake, as team leader, primary responsibility on a day-to-day basis for the Cardiac Cath Lab and the effective utilisation of all resources allocated.
- Be accountable for the day to day quality of the service provided, including customer service and technical aspects.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of operational policies, protocols and guidelines to ensure optimum utilisation of resources and systematic audit of such usage.
- Advise as required on equipment selection, purchase, replacement or upgrading.
- Contribute to the preparation of plans for the service – monitor and report on their implementation. Implement and maintain accurate information systems for clinical data in accordance with hospital standards.
- Report all operation issues to Radiography Services Manager.
- Manage use of consumables efficiently.
- To dispense and administer I.V. injection as per Departmental policy.
- To maintain the principles of patient confidentiality at all times and ensure all staff uphold this principle.
- Ensure due regard is given to the customs, values and spiritual beliefs of all patients and staff.
- Monitor and ensure stock levels are maintained in the immediate work area.
Quality & Audit:
- Participate in providing department audits and statistics.
- Contribute to the preparation of plans for the service – monitor and report on their implementation.
- Implement and maintain accurate information systems for clinical data in accordance with hospital standards.
- Maintain accurate records of equipment service, maintenance, malfunction, downtime and performance as required and co-ordinate preventative maintenance schedules in accordance with clinical demand and Department policy.
- Support the Radiographic Services Manager in the implementation of initiatives aimed at on-going service development and improvement.
- Supervise and assess all training as required.
- Liaise with the Radiographic Service Manager and other senior staff on the rotation of staff through the Department to ensure adequate number of trained staff are available.
- Liaise with the Radiographic Service Manager on human resource issues as appropriate.
- Investigate and take appropriate action in accordance with hospital policy in relation to complaints, accidents and incidents.
- Ensure that all hospital policies and relevant legislation on Cardiac Cath Lab safety is understood by staff and complied with.
- Ensure the Cardiac Cath Lab operates in accordance with the operational policy at all times.
- Ensure all hospital policies on infection control, health and safety etc. are understood by staff and complied with routinely.
- Implement and maintain a Quality Assurance programme for the Department
Health and Safety:
- Promote and maintain a safe environment for staff and patients.
- Assist in the development and implementation of risk management and health and safety strategies in association with appropriate personnel.
- Have a working knowledge of HIQA Standards as they apply to the role for example, Standards for Healthcare, National Standards for the Prevention and Control of Healthcare Associated Infections, Hygiene standards etc.
Professional / Education
- Maintain, enhance and develop knowledge, skill and aptitudes necessary to respond to changing clinical profile of patients, hospital/service developments and legal requirements such as licensing.
- Participate as required in human resource planning, recruitment and selection of staff.
- To participate and deliver CPD.
- Provide peer support when necessary.
Possess a Degree in Radiography or the Diploma of The College of Radiographers
Must be registered in the Radiographer’s Division by The Radiographers Registration Board maintained at CORU.
Must have not less than 6 years fulltime post qualification clinical experience in the Cardiac Cath Lab
Possess a recognised postgraduate course as recognised by the IIRRT
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield and Cork Cancer Centre and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant
Please send letter of application along with an up to date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Co-Ordinator, UPMC Whitfield, Cork Road, Waterford or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Monday 23rd of December 2019.