Applications from suitably qualified candidates for the above position is by way of a letter of application and curriculum vitae to Aislinn Fell, HR Business Partner email@example.com.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Monday, 25 October 2021.
Business Intelligence Architect
Based at: UPMC Global Technology Operations Centre, Kilkenny
The Business Intelligence Architect will provide vision and direction to the UPMC International Business Intelligence dashboards reporting to the Chief Information Officer. As a UPMC employee you will be expected to adopt the overarching mission, vision and values of UPMC, uphold the highest leave of confidence and become familiar with the specific departments and services of UPMC in Ireland.
The candidate for this position will be a visionary individual who can lead the Business Intelligence team to produce the organisation’s key dashboards approved by the Business Intelligence Committee. The candidate will lead the design of architectural roadmaps, data platforms, data access and data technology architectures.
Ultimately, the successful applicant will ensure the database architecture behind the Business Intelligence platform is robust and matches the evolving business needs of UPMC International.
The role of a BI Architect is that of a visionary leader in an organisation. The BI Architect’s roles and responsibilities include:
- Developing and implementing an overall organisational data strategy that is in line with business processes for the UPMC International Business Intelligence platform. The strategy includes data model designs, database development standards, implementation and management of data warehouses and data analytics systems.
- Identifying data sources, both internal and external, and working out a plan for data management that is aligned with the organisational data strategy.
- Coordinating and collaborating with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and vendors for the smooth functioning of the Business Intelligence data platform.
- Defining and managing the flow of data and dissemination of information within the organisation.
- Integrating technical functionality, ensuring data accessibility, accuracy, and security.
- Lead by example, participate and assist with projects. Able to provide coaching / mentor others. Able to work with project leadership in a cooperative manner.
- Communicates to make process improvements or complete projects.
- Ability to function independently, understanding criticality of business function impacts to other processes.
- Ability to work well under deadlines and pressure
- Problem solving skills for developing creative solutions and meeting objectives are required
- Ability to communicate clearly, accurately, and directly, both verbally and in writing, to a widely varied audience
Skills Essential to the Post:
- Fluent in ETL technology such as SSIS, Azure Data Factory.
- Excellent SQL writing skills using SQL Server, Oracle and SAP HANA.
- Hands on experience in ETL, Data Warehouse, Data Lake, Business Intelligence, Data Governance, MDM, Data Virtualization and Data Ops Technologies.
- In-depth working knowledge of multiple database technologies working with SQL Server, Oracle, SAP HANA.
- Experience of creation of database and BI Data Structures for Data Warehouse environment.
- Proven technical knowledge with cloud data analytic platforms – Microsoft Azure preferred (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), platform technologies, API integrations.
- Experience in using all/or some of the following: SSRS, SSAS, Tableau, or MicroStrategy.
- Experience in Reporting Tools essential (e.g.) Power BI Preferred, Tableau, Crystal Reports, Business Objects, QlikView.
- Experience in scripting/programming experience desirable.
- Experience in deploying cloud based data platform technologies such as Snowflake, Redshift, Synapse desirable.
- Minimum Education BSc Hons required, preferably in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, Business, or Data Analytics.
- 5 years’ experience developing and managing business intelligence environment (Reporting, ETL, Data warehouse design) across multiple applications and locations.
- (Experience in cloud technologies in Azure environment preferred)
- Experience in a client-facing organization, industry, or government organization (background in Health Care is highly desirable)
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge:
- Collaborating on multi-functional teams to design solutions that demonstrate the data platform.
- Advising business on platform standard methodologies.
- Effective analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Commitment to provide a quality service.
Health & Safety
As an employee of UPMC you have a responsibility to:
- Take reasonable care of your own health and safety and that of any other person who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.
- Co-operate with UPMC in ensuring that statutory regulations, codes of practice, local policies and departmental health and safety rules are adhered to
- Not intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health and safety.
UPMC is committed to compliance with information governance standards to ensure that all information is handled legally, securely, efficiently, and effectively. You are required to comply with the UPMC information governance policies and standards.
- Confidentiality and security – Your attention is drawn to the confidential nature of information collected within UPMC. Whilst you are employed by UPMC you will encounter confidential information and data relating to the work of UPMC, its patients or employees. You are bound by your conditions of service to respect the confidentiality of any information you may encounter which identifies patients, employees or other UPMC personnel, or business information of the organisation. You also have a duty to ensure that all confidential information is always held securely, both on and off site.
- Disclosure of information – The unauthorised use or disclosure of information relating to UPMC activities or affairs, the treatment of patients or the personal details of an employee, will normally be considered a serious disciplinary offence which could result in dismissal. Upon leaving UPMC employment and at any time thereafter you must not take advantage of or disclose confidential information that you learnt in the course of your employment. Unauthorised disclosure of any of this information may be deemed as a criminal offence.
- Information quality and records management – You must ensure that all information handled by you is accurate and kept up-to-date and you must comply with recording, monitoring, validation and improvement schemes and processes.
Professional Standards and Engagement & Competency Process
As an employee of UPMC you have a responsibility to:
- Participate in statutory and mandatory training as appropriate for the post.
- Maintain consistently high personal and professional standards and act in accordance with the relevant professional code of conduct.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance and improvement of personal and professional competence and to encourage that of colleagues and subordinates.
- Participate in UPMC’s E&C processes including identifying performance standards for the post, personal objective setting and the creation of a personal development plan.
UPMC is committed to behaving responsibly in the way we manage transport, procurement, our facilities, employment, skills, and our engagement with the local community so that we can make a positive contribution to society. As an employee of UPMC you have a responsibility to take measures to support our contribution and to reduce the environmental impact of our activities relating to energy and water usage, transport, and waste.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Ireland and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the organisation.
A $23 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane and UPMC Aut Even Hospital in Kilkenny. Outpatient care is available at the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, the UPMC Sports Medicine Clinic at WIT Arena and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.