Please send letter of application along with an up-to-date CV to Natalie Moore, HR Coordinator, UPMC Whitfield Hospital, Cork Road, Waterford, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is Sunday, 14 June 2020.
Acting Central Sterile Services Department Manager
Reports to: Chief Nursing Officer
Manage the day-to-day activities within the CSSD Dept at UPMC Whitfield Hospital. Promote efficiency and safety within the department working in collaboration with the clinical nurse managers within the theatre department to ensure efficient turnaround times within the CSSD while maintaining all standards relevant to the safety within the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the safe reprocessing of surgical instruments in an efficient and timely manner and oversee the endoscopy decontamination processes.
- Participate in team meetings and committees, as appropriate, communicating and working in co-operation with other team members, e.g. theatre users’ group, theatre department daily huddles, and facilities teams.
- Assist in the co-ordination, co-operation, and liaison across healthcare teams and programmes regarding sterile service requirements.
- Ensure accurate record keeping in accordance with UPMC Whitfield Hospital Policy.
- Ensure all decontamination testing is carried out.
- Maintain professional standards in relation to confidentiality, ethics, and legislation.
- Participate in audits as required by the hospital, e.g. decontamination, traceability and hand hygiene.
- Support systems to ensure the highest professional standards using an evidence-based approach to the reprocessing and traceability of surgical instruments.
- Assist in the evaluation and the implementation of best practice policy and procedures in conjunction with relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that effective safety procedures are followed and managed to comply with statutory obligations, in conjunction with relevant hospital staff.
- Maintain a high standard of communication among the CSSD team and with other members of staff.
- Participate in the identification, development, and delivery of education, training, and development programs for CSSD Operatives.
- Contribute to the formulation, development, and implementation of policies and procedures at area and hospital level. Ensure all staff adhere to set protocols and procedures. Support regular reviews of same to ensure best practice.
- Ensure all non-conformances are documented in relation to your area of control.
- Ensure all instruments to be sent for repair are recorded and managed through the decontamination process in line with current standards.
- Ensure the management of instrument storage in the CSSD area is in line with current standards.
- Ensure the transportation of instruments and soft pack to the operating department, wards, and other areas in the hospital are in line with current standards.
- Oversee the role of CSSD operatives and ensure highest standards of decontamination practices are maintained.
- Develop a knowledge of scope and ultrasound reprocessing management.
- Cross cover the decontamination supervisor for endoscope decontamination service when required.
- Engage in continuing professional development by keeping up to date with decontamination literature, recent research and new developments in decontamination management, education, and practice, and to attend staff study days as considered appropriate.
- Participate in the identification, development, and delivery of induction, education, training, and development programmes for CSSD staff.
- Engage in performance review processes including personal development planning, as appropriate, and exercise leadership in the running of CSSD.
- Maintain and regularly review use of CSSD facilities, maximising their potential use and seek to develop new ways to provide services to meet needs presented to the department.
- Be responsible and accountable for all quality and safety issues relevant to the department.
Professional and Educational
- FETAC Level 6 award in Decontamination of RIMD or be willing to undertake same.
The Post holder must hold the following to fulfill the requirements of this post:
- In depth/extensive experience and knowledge of working within the CSSD or Theatre setting.
This job description is intended to be an outline of the areas of responsibility. As the UPMC Whitfield Hospital and the post holder develop, this job description may be subject to review in light of the changing needs of the Centre.
Excellent remuneration package available to the successful applicant.
A $21 billion healthcare provider and insurer, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centred, cost-effective, accountable care. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialisation arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International.
Providing high-quality healthcare in the South East since 2006, UPMC’s operations in Ireland now include UPMC Whitfield Hospital in Waterford, UPMC Kildare Hospital in Clane, the UPMC Carlow Outreach Centre, UPMC Hillman Cancer Centre radiotherapy locations at UPMC Whitfield and in Cork, and the UPMC Concussion Network. UPMC is the Official Healthcare Partner of the GAA and GPA.